We are very pleased to announce today that Dan Burnett, Voxeo’s Director of Speech Technologies, has joined the VoiceXML Forum Board of Directors. The VoiceXML Forum issued a news release today announcing Dan’s new role.
Dan Burnett’s passion about VoiceXML and related technologies is no secret to anyone in the industry. He currently serves as the co-editor-in-chief of the VoiceXML 3.0 specification and is actually the chair of the W3C’s Voice Browser Working Group, the group under which speech-related standards fall including VoiceXML, CCXML, SCXML and so many more.
Dan has in fact been involved with many of those standards, serving as:
- co-chair of the HTML Speech Incubator Group
- chief editor of Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) versions 1.0 and 1.1;
- editor of VoiceXML 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0;
- editor of Media Resource Control Protocol(MRCP) v2;
- an author of the Extensible Multi-Modal Annotation (EMMA) specification, Pronunciation Lexicon Specification (PLS), and State Chart XML (SCXML); and
- a contributor to the Speech Recognition Grammar Specification (SRGS), Semantic Interpretation for Speech Recognition(SISR) and the multimodal framework documents of the Multimodal Interaction Working Group.
Basically, if there has been a W3C standard involved with speech or voice, odds are pretty good that Dan has been involved in some form.
Within Voxeo, Dan has overall responsibility for all of Voxeo’s speech recognition products and research. He leads the research, development and implementation of the company’s own speech recognition and text-to-speech products, and also integrates technology from leading speech recognition providers. He is also our point person on industry standards, not only with the W3C but also with the IETF. (You can read the posts I’ve written about Dan’s standards work on our Speaking of Standards blog.)
As part of the VoiceXML Forum Board of Directors, Dan is looking forward to joining with the other board members in increasing awareness within the broader industry around what VoiceXML can do and also in expanding the certification efforts offered by the VoiceXML Forum.
We’re thrilled that Dan will be on the board and look forward to being part of the next stage of evolution of the VoiceXML Forum!
- Jam Session this Week: The Future of VoiceXML
- Jam Session in May: The Future of VoiceXML
- Our upcoming talks at SpeechTEK and OSCON 2008 – VoiceXML, mashups and security
- FAQ about Voxeo’s acquisition of Motorola’s VoiceXML browser business (VoxGateway)
- Shipping a 10,000 port VoiceXML IVR system to SpeechTEK? CRAZY… but a VERY cool demo!